Chicagoland Radio Control Modelers, Inc. was founded in 1948 to promote radio controlled model airplane flying for the enjoyment and recreation of its members. We are a non-profit organization and all dues and monies received are used to maintain our flying site or to promote club activities. Our founder was Frank Madl, who conceived the original spring nose landing gear. He submitted the idea to Flying Models magazine and received a $5.00 award for it in 1957.
Our current flying site is the club field's seventh location. The original site was near the Glenview Naval Air Station. Next, it moved to an area south of O'Hare airport near the railroad switching station, then to an actual O'Hare runway during O'Hare's construction. The field was then moved way north to a Nike missile command base around Half-Day. Finally, it was relocated to the Busse Woods area: first north of Higgins where the lake is now, then south of Higgins and last to the current location south of Golf Road.
Our club runs programs tailored for our members.
The CRCM flying Field features a 200'x 200' paved runway, with an adjacent 500'x 120' well manicured grass runway for giant scale gas planes, with a North and South runway for take offs and landings. also a paved walkway to the pit area, and safety fence in front of all five pilot stations.
The Chicagoland Radio Controlled Modelers Field is operated and maintained by our club members, but is property of the Cook County Forest Preserve and open to all AMA Licensed Members.
Enter off Golf Road (Route 58), just East of Route 53.
Turn Left and go to the cul-de-sac.